Saturday, August 3, 2013

mini-post: Summer 2013 update

Blegh, fuck my life.

Everything I've tried out so far has been a bust.  Thankfully, though, that hasn't been terribly much (I blame Dark Tower and Borderlands).  I will, however, say these small bits.

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi was okay.  Not great, just okay.  I watched the first episode and got about halfway through the second one before I was just not-wowed enough to say to myself "I can put this down and not feel bad about it".  Now, don't take this to mean that I think it's bad, it just...didn't really grab me.  People may keep up with it and--who knows-- it may really pick a few more episodes in.  So I will say this: Not a terrible show, but not for me.

I also sat through the entire first two episodes of Stella Jogakuin Koutouka C3-bu, the show that GAINAX got behind.  I was dismayed to find that it was not entirely the K-On with gunplay I was expecting, which led to the realization that GAINAX is not synonymous with Hideaki Anno (creator and director of Evangelion).  It's about a girl who doesn't really connect with others and wants a fresh start in high school.  She doesn't really know who she wants to be and finds herself (on multiple levels) in the C3 club at school (war games with airsoft).  Sounds like K-On, just replace "C3" with "Light Music", but it was missing a certain je ne sais quoi that I really loved in the past.

And I have to be honest, I got through the first two minutes of Fantasista Doll before I thought to myself "I have made a terrible mistake".  Could be good, could be great, but I don't really think I'm the right person to find out.

But there's some good news on the horizon!  I'm finally going to see Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Advance at Otakon, which is in a week :D

They won't be showing the dubbed version, but the Eva-fans in the gang are pointedly tired of waiting.

Also Legend of Korra comes back this September


No comments:

Post a Comment