Friday, January 3, 2014

Winter Is...Well, Looks Like It's Already Here

This has been me with this post


But the times change, and so must I.  So let's talk about Winter 2013-14.

This week marked the 13th week of Autumn, meaning that Winter has come, and with it a whole new batch of shows.

Unfortunately, I find myself looking forward with apprehension, rather than excitement.

This is not to say that I look to the new season and see nothing good, I just see nothing...that strikes me as phenomenal, and I've got so many shows on the backburner--hell, I've got shows on the backburner for being on the regular backburner--and I'm thinking about spending this season catching up on that, as well as dabbling in the new material.


Above is the complete list of Winter anime as I know it.  As I said earlier, I wasn't particularly wowed by any one, but I've been wrong before.  So let's get into the nitty-gritty.

The first show that I will be pioneering--boldly going, if you will-- is Space Dandy.


This show was met with roaring approval from my anime night friends.  And I won't lie, when I originally scoped out the shows this season, this one caught my attention the most, because--as anyone who knows me will tell you--I love me a pompadour.

Everything I know about dandies I learned from Wally in Fairy Tail
So anyways, Space Dandy is, to quote "...a dandy guy in the space", and you can read the synopsis.  This show is animated by the infamous Studio Bones, who did such projects as Darker Than Black, Eden of the East, Wolf's Rain, and Soul Eater to name a few.  On top of that, it's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the man behind Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, which gives me the distinct feeling that this show's going to be stylish as all fuck, though this particular entry in his saga smacks more of disco than hip-hop.

I watched the trailer this morning and...well...I think I'll let it speak for itself.



Moving on...the second show I picked out is called Witch Craft Works.


And, before you ask, I can't tell if the title is meant as a statement, or just as a noun >__>

But I digress.  I watched the trailer for this one and gleaned very little, other than that it's a romantic comedy, and it has magic in it.

I did, however, notice that this had a very similar look to one of my favorite shows A Certain Magical Index, followed my nose and found that this show is, indeed, animated by the same studio, J. C. Staff.

So I'm onboard.


Last, but not least, there's Houzuki no Reitetsu


Because I've always wanted to know how Hell's upper management works.  The way I figure, it could be fun.  We shall see...

I checked out Wit Studios, and they were the animation studio behind the ever popular Attack on Titan, so there's that.


Apparently this will be a season with very noble lineage for me.  I'll keep you all posted as I get into this.  And if you see something in the list you like, hear something on the street, or read something on the internet and would like me to investigate, drop a comment, I'd be happy to look into it.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to a productive Winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment