Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Spiderweb of Strings That is This Post

Let's hit the ground running on this one and talk about Devil Survivor 2: The Animation.  For once, a show wherein the entire title is in English.


So Devil Survivor 2: The Animation is, as the name implies, the anime adaptation of the DS title Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 by Atlus.  You might be looking at this and saying to yourself, "But this is the second installment, shouldn't we start with the first Devil Survivor?"  Well, that's a great question, but the answer is "no" because there is no anime adaptation of the first Devil Survivor.  Weird, huh?  Coincidentally, I happen to be working my way through the game as well as the anime.

The characters in the Devil Survivor series are designed by Suzuhito Yasuda, creator and illustrator of Yozakura Quartet and the illustrator of the Durarara! light novels (a series I have yet to finish, though I have friends who swear by it).



Durarara! 

Yozakura Quartet

If the above images weren't enough to convince you, you'll just have to take my word for it.  Short of that, Wiki it.

However, as I was watching the series, I noticed that the look of the show reminded me more of Persona 4: The Animation, which in turn had a different artistic look from the game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 which was illustrated by Shigenori Soejima.

The difference between this...

and this.


Upon closer inspection, I discovered that both series have the same director, Seiji Kishi, which is neat.

But I digress...a bunch.

Devil Survivor 2 follows Hibiki Kuze, a high school student.  His friend Daichi introduces him to a website called Nicaea, which will send you videos showing you how your friends will die.  Shortly after, they get caught up in a giant disaster that rocks Japan, with demons springing out of people's cell phones and running amok.  However, those with strong enough wills can tame these demons and are known as "Summoners".  The 13 episode show will follow Hibiki (and friends) and they use their unique abilities to get through the ordeal that they've landed themselves in...as they "survive" if you will.

What I like about the plot of the Devil Survivor games (the first one featured all of Tokyo being quarantined from the rest of the world) is that they evoke the same feelings as a zombie apocalypse.  They feature a lot about how society can easily fall apart in the face of calamity.  People in the game/show exhibit feelings of hopelessness and powerlessness, while others take advantage of the situation to loot and exploit others.  Kind of what I get the feeling that movie The Purge is going to be about.

Regardless, I'm having a good time watching Devil Survivor 2: The Animation as I also work my way through the game.  I wouldn't say it's as good as Gargantia or Attack on Titan, but it gets a solid nomination from me, especially for people that enjoyed Persona 4: The Animation, or are fans of the game...though I doubt those people would need my recommendation.

Thanks for reading :D


No comments:

Post a Comment